How to: clean our domes
In this blog piece we will be talking about the basics of how to clean your new dome. Thanks to the nature of the PVC fabric, it is incredibly easy to clean our domes as it is mould resistant and the fibres that make up the cover are so tightly linked that it makes it incredibly difficult for stains (such as air pollution, rain, dust, bird poo etc) to actually penetrate and stain the dome’s cover.
To ensure the durability and longevity of your dome’s cover we recommend cleaning the cover every 3 months.
If you prefer to watch our quick video tutorial instead, feel free to watch the video below.
What you need:
- Clean sponge, soft bristle brush or rag
- Dishwashing liquid
- Warm, clean water
- Adjustable length spray mop
- Shammy (Chamois)
- Magic eraser sponge
- Using clean water, spray the entire outside of your dome using a power nozzle on your hose (if available) to remove any dust and debris from the cover.
- Mix the dishwashing liquid and warm water together in a bucket.
- Dip your sponge, soft brush or rag into the water and begin cleaning process.
- Remember to clean around your accessories to remove any excess build up of dirt/leaves. This is also a good time to check that your silicone around your accessories (i.e. solar fan or porthole window) are still providing a watertight seal. In the rare event that you have found an area that needs to be patched up with silicone, clean the area and allow to dry first before reapplying silicone.
- Rinse down cover thoroughly after cleaning to ensure all dirt and chemicals are removed from cover.
- Once you have rinsed the dome down, check for any marks left on the cover and go over it with a magic eraser sponge to remove.
- Sometimes a build up of dirt occurs around and under the press bars. If this has occurred, simply remove the press bar cover, clean the general area and clip the press bar’s cover back in place.
- Sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour (maybe over an ice cold beer or fine wine 😜 because hey you earned it)
- We recommend working from the top of the dome, down and in a circular motion.
- Both the clear and covered sections of the cover are cleaned in the same method with the same equipment.
- NEVER USE HARSH CHEMICALS, SOLVENTS, WIRE PADS/BRUSHES, HARD BRUSHES OR HIGH-PRESSURE STEAM CLEANERS TO CLEAN THE DOME COVER.
- As with any cleaning products, please follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure the safety of yourself and others around you.
- With our larger domes there may be no choice but to use an elevated platform (such as a ladder, scaffold or cherry picker) to clean the higher sections of our domes. We recommend that you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to safely operate their equipment and whenever possible to work with a buddy to minimise any potential risk.
- Kingdomes Leisure PTY LTD cannot be held liable for any negligence causing injury or death related to the cleaning process of our domes. It is a shame that we have to say this but we all know how the world is these days.
- In short, common sense is key, remember that gravity and physics exists, don’t drink the soap water and don’t use the curvature of the dome as a makeshift slip’n’slide (don’t say we didn’t warn you 😉)